Take 5 for Perfect Practice
How to help your child with their instrumental learning.
Five is a good number in terms of short term memory and motivation. Try remembering a series of more than five numbers and you will see what I mean. A expectation of no more than FIVE activities can be more motivational than too many targets.
1. FIVE minutes a day is a minimum practice for beginners.
2. Focus on FIVE elements within that time. This will include elements of practice such as posture, breathing, tone quality, scales, intonation, specific technical points, dynamics, etc.
3. FIVE days a week and two rest days.
4. Build up the FIVE minutes into FIVE sets of FIVE minutes a day.
5. Make one of the FIVE continuous playing to develop stamina and performance technique.